Howdy friends, Lauren here! With summer just on the horizon, we are hitting up those farmer’s markets, trying out some new summer recipes, and doing everything we can to spend time outside. Today I am sharing one of our latest finds & if you are looking to switch up your seafood game, or even try something a little adventurous with a new vegetable, this recipe is absolutely for you! Scroll on down to see your new favorite dish…
Pan-seared scallops with thyme & pink peppercorn – what do you think? Sounds delicious, right?! This recipe has two different components to it – the scallops and the asparagus & garlic scape side. One of the best parts about this recipe is that you can keep them together as a full meal or break the recipes apart and use them in other dishes. Can you imagine these pan-seared scallops mixed in to one of your favorite salads or the asparagus & garlic scapes under a delicious grilled tenderloin – hubba hubba!
This dish is phenomenal on it’s own & because it’s so versatile, I have no doubt you will keep coming back to it. So what are we waiting for? Pour yourself a nice chilled glass of Kendall-Jackson Chardonnay & let’s start cooking!
- 8 medium-sized scallops
- 1 tbsp olive oil or butter
- Salt and pepper
- 3 thyme sprigs, finely minced
- Pink peppercorns, coarsely ground
- Lemon, halved
- 12ish cipollini onions, peeled and trimmed
- 1 bunch asparagus, trimmed
- 8-12 garlic scapes, trimmed
- 4 tbsps olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced
- ¼ cup parsley, finely minced
- 6 thyme sprigs, finely minced
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest, finely minced
- Mince all ingredients for asparagus together and combine thoroughly.
- Preheat oven to 400˚. Toss onions with olive oil, salt, and pepper to coat. Roast in oven about 30 minutes, tossing occasionally until caramelized.
- Toss asparagus and scapes together in olive oil, salt, and pepper to coat. Roast in oven about 10-15 minutes until stalks are covered slightly. Toss with gremolata mixture and finish with lemon juice.
- PRO TIP: These two items can be done on one baking pan; just add the asparagus halfway through the onion-cooking process.
- While the asparagus is cooking, wash & pat scallops dry with a paper towel and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Heat skillet to medium-high heat. Place scallops in pan and cook for about 2 minutes. Flip over and cook for another 2-3 minutes until golden brown.
- Serve scallops on a bed of arugula (optional) or with half a lemon. Toss it on your pan, flesh side down, to give it a nice char. Add your asparagus & garlic scapes to the plate, pour a glass of Kendall-Jackson Vintner’s Reserve Chardonnay and voila!
What do you think? Totally achievable, right?! Less than an hour and you’ve got yourself a delicious meal that is perfect for a date-night on the patio, dinner with friends, or just a fun way to spice up your daily dinner. It’s quickly become a favorite in our house & I can’t wait to hear what y’all think!
photography by Constance Higley
Powered by WPeMatico