Patrons enjoy a magical evening under the stars at Linfield College in McMinnville, Ore. This year is the 30th annual International Pinot Noir Celebration. (Photo courtesy of IPNC)
MCMINNVILLE, Ore. – In six weeks, the wine world will descend on Oregon’s Yamhill County for the 30th annual International Pinot Noir Celebration, with more than 70 wineries pouring and 60 chefs providing Northwest-focused cuisine.
The three-day event takes place at Linfield College in the heart of Oregon wine country and includes two large tastings, multiple seminars, the annual Salmon Bake and vineyard tours. Tickets for the entire weekend are $1,200. Events also can be purchased a la carte: The Salmon Bake is $225, and the Sunday Passport to Pinot is $125.
While IPNC takes place in Oregon Pinot Noir country, wines from around the globe will be featured.
From North America, wineries from Oregon, Washington, California, Michigan, Virginia and British Columbia will be pouring. From Europe, winemakers from Pinot Noir’s ancestral home – Burgundy – will be well represented. But a German winemaker also will be pouring.
And Southern Hemisphere winemakers from New Zealand, Australia and Argentina also will share their examples of Pinot Noir.
Oregon wineries at IPNC
Adam Campbell, second-generation winemaker at Elk Cove Vineyards in the northern Willamette Valley, will be pouring his Pinot Noir at IPNC next month. (Photo courtesy of Elk Cove Vineyards)
The most-represented region, of course, will be Oregon. The wineries featured at this year’s IPNC include:
- Alexana Estate Vineyards & Winery, Newberg
- Anam Cara Cellars, Newberg
- Archery Summit, Dayton
- Ayres Vineyard, Newberg
- Bergstrom Wines, Newberg
- Brick House Wine Co., Newberg
- Brittan Vineyards, McMinnville
- Chehalem, Newberg
- Colene Clemens, Newberg
- Cristom Vineyards, Salem
- Domaine Drouhin Roserock, Dundee
- Domaine Serene, Dayton
- Elk Cove Vineyards, Gaston
- Foris Vineyards Winery, Cave Junction
- Harper Voit, Gaston
- J. Christopher Wines, Newberg
- J.K. Carriere, Newberg
- Johan Vineyards, Rickreall
- La Crema Winery, Willamette Valley
- Lange Estate Winery, Dundee
- Lazy River Vineyard, Yamhill
- Owen Roe, Newberg
- Panther Creek Cellars, Dundee
- R. Stuart & Co., McMinnville
- Rex Hill, Newberg
- Shea Wine Cellars, Newberg
- Sineann, St. Paul
- Sokol Blosser, Dundee
- Solena Estate, Yamhill
- St. Innocent Winery, Salem
- Tendril Wine Cellars, Gaston
- Trisaetum, Newberg
- Walter Scott Wines, Salem
- Winderlea Vineyard & Winery, Dundee
- Witness Tree Vineyard, Salem
Wineries are selected through a tasting process and must compete for the opportunity to represent their regions.
Overall, more than 250 different wines will be poured throughout IPNC weekend.
The famed Salmon Bake is a tradition each year at IPNC in McMinnville, Ore. (Photo courtesy of IPNC)
Here is a look at this year’s IPNC:
Friday, July 29
- 7:30-9 a.m.: Breakfast on the patio.
- 9:15 a.m.-3 p.m.: Vineyard tour and winery lunch.
- 3:30-5 p.m.: Afternoon activities such as special tastings and book signings.
- 5-7 p.m.: Alfresco tasting, in which 35 winemakers pour their featured Pinot Noirs.
- 7:30-11 p.m.: Grand dinner includes wines from the IPNC wine library and cuisine from featured Northwest chefs.
Saturday, July 30
- 7:30-9 a.m.: Breakfast on the patio
- 9:30-11 am.: Grand seminar, a large-format seminar and tasting from some of the most influential people in Pinot Noir.
- 11:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m.: Lunch on the lawn.
- 2-3:30 p.m.: University of Pinot. Various seminars focus on different aspects of Pinot Noir, from geology, history, chemistry and geography.
- 3:30-5 p.m.: Afternoon activities.
- 5-7 p.m.: Alfresco tasting, in which 35 winemakers pour featured Pinot Noirs.
- 7:30-11:30 p.m.: Northwest Salmon Bake. This is one of the signature events of IPNC, during which wild salmon is roasted on stakes over a fire pit.
Sunday, July 31
- 10 a.m.-noon: Sparkling brunch.
- 2-6 p.m.: Passport to Pinot. More than 70 wineries from around the world will pour Pinot Noirs, accompanied by cuisine from Northwest chefs.
Powered by WPeMatico