Hello Kendall-Jackson friends it’s, Jo-Anna from A Pretty Life Blog! Today, I’m sharing a delicious Caramelized Onion, Apple and Brie Flatbread recipe — perfect for summer!
Actually, flatbread recipes are fantastic any time of year but we especially enjoy them during the summer months. They’re perfect grilled on the BBQ, then served up as a light dinner or as an appetizer.
This is the kind of recipe that you can enjoy outside on the patio, glass of Kendall-Jackson Vintner’s Reserve Chardonnay in hand. Ah summer… you’re the best.
These flatbreads are loaded with balsamic caramelized onions, slices of Granny Smith apples, chunks of double cream Brie cheese, and topped off with sprinkles of spicy arugula. That is a lot of deliciousness in one flatbread. And speaking of flatbreads, I like to buy premade flatbread dough for recipes like this… there’s no sense in making a homemade crust, unless of course you want to. I just find the premade breads are delicious and make assembling these pies so much easier. I especially like to use naan breads.
The resulting flatbread is delicious. Just look at all that melted cheese… and sweet tangy onions. SO good. So very, very good.
You can make this recipe as one large flatbread to share with family or friends, or you can split the recipe into three small flatbreads — it’s really up to you. If you double the recipe, then you can easily make individual flatbreads for everyone at your table. It’s always nice to have a flatbread all to yourself!
I hope you enjoy this easy and delicious recipe!
Caramelized Onion, Apple and Brie Flatbread
Flatbread and Toppings:
- 1 large (or 3 small) Flatbread or Naan Bread
- 1 or 2 Green apples, cut into thin slices (I used Granny Smith apples)
- 3/4 cup cubed Brie cheese (I used 1/2 of a 350 g wheel of Brie)
- 1/4 cup chopped Arugula for garnish
- caramelized onions (see recipe below)
Balsamic Caramelized Onions:
- 2 large sweet onions
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp Balsamic vinegar
- salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees.
- Make the caramelized onions first:
- Melt the butter in a skillet over low/medium heat.
- Slice the onions and add them to the skillet.
- Stir in the balsamic vinegar.
- Turn the heat down to low, and cook the onions until they are soft and there is no liquid in the pan, about 15-20 minutes.
- Set aside.
Assemble the flatbread:
- Lay the flatbread out on a baking sheet.
- Spread the caramelized onions to cover the bread.
- Layer on the slices of apple, tucking some apple pieces under the onions.
- Sprinkle on the cubes of Brie cheese.
- Bake the flatbreads for 10 – 12 minute, or until the cheese is softly melted.
- Garnish with the chopped arugula, then cut, pour a glass of Kendall-Jackson Vintner’s Reserve Chardonnay and enjoy!
These flatbreads can also be grilled on the BBQ. Just set them on a sheet of tinfoil, or directly on the grill if you wish, and bake them the same way you would in the oven. We set our BBQ to a medium-high heat, and cook them for about 8 minutes. Just watch them closely to make sure they don’t burn.
Have a delicious day!
Blog Hero Image:
Powered by WPeMatico